I get lots of requests for what gear I recommend. Well, the fact is that there are lots of great options out there. If you are looking for a Nikon DSLR kit, here are some ready made “wish lists” for you to check out over at B&H Photo. These kits contain everything you need to get jump-started in photography, including cameras, lenses, tripods, filters, and accessories. Many of the items in each kit are optional, so check your needs (and your budget) accordingly.
Recommended Nikon DSLR Kits
- Airshow Kit (lots of options for action photographers)
- Beginner Kit (for entry-level photographers on a budget)
- DX Enthusiast Kit (Ideal for advanced amateurs, includes D90/D7000 options)
- DX Pro Kit (D300s-based kit with all the trimmings)
- FX Enthusiast Kit (Nikon D700 with lenses and accessories)
- FX Pro Kit (Top level D3-based kit with pro glass)
- Budget Birding Kit (D90/D7000 body and lenses for birders on a budget)
- Outdoor/Nature Kit (fundamental gear for outdoor photographers)
- Pro Birding / Wildlife Kit (D300s-based kit with big glass for birds and wildlife)
- Travel Kit (Compact options for going light)
- DX Landscape Kit (Includes tripod, lenses and filters to go with your Nikon D90/D7000 body)
- FX Landscape Kit (For serious landscape shooters using the D700 or D3 bodies)
- DX Studio Kit (Includes portrait lenses, flashes, stands, and backdrops)
- FX Studio Kit (Similar to DX kit, but optimized for D700/D3 shooters)
Obviously, you can mix and match items from these lists, but this ought to be a great starting point for most Nikon shooters. If you shoot with another brand, you can easily find the equivalent gear in most cases, especially with the 3rd-party lenses.
15% Savings on all Nik Software Products (USA/Canada Residents only). Use this link to get your discount, or enter code JODELL at checkout.